CATEGORY: FULL TIME
LOCATION: NEW YORK, NY
REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNICATIONS
The Institute is seeking an Economics Editor who is knowledgeable and critical of economics and optimistic about its potential to better serve society.
The Editor plays a central role in “translating” Institute research into compelling narratives that drive interest both inside and outside academia, and also acts as a curator of relevant content within the news cycle that draws wider audiences to the Institute’s work. The Editor must assure that any communications accurately represent the research and economics content of the underlying research.
The Editor works with a wide variety of Institute stakeholders, including: Institute research and communications staff, grantees and partner organizations, journalists, and other editorial contributors. The Editor works closely with the Institute’s Community Engineer to optimize editorial content for key audiences and platforms and assist with timely distribution and publication, developing economics content from a variety of sources and linking that with the Institute’s communications team.
Institute Target Audiences
The Institute communicates with two main audiences,: Economic Scholars (including researchers, professors, and PhD students, not exclusively economists) and the Educated Public (which encompasses media members, public officials and policy makers, private-sector influencers, graduate and undergraduate students, prospective and current donors, and educated citizens).
The Institute for New Economic Thinking is neither a lobbying organization nor a political entity – it aims to change the conversation in economics as a means to better serve society. The Editor will help maintain and further develop the Institute’s stock of editorial content, social media, and web presence, and be the principal working partner with the communications team.
Specific Tasks Include:
- Work with Vice President of Communications, Director of Research, and Senior Vice President of Programs, to implement editorial strategy supporting Institute research priorities and communications campaigns
- Understanding the economic research produced by grantees, partner organizations, and Institute staff produce and turning this research into a high volume of editorial content; act as editor to help shape this material into high-performing web content
- Work with Vice President of Communications and other staff to “merchandise” Institute research and develop editorial approach to content across platforms and mediums
- Ongoing regular work with Community Engineer to place editorial content online, evaluate impact of editorial content, and continually evolve editorial strategy to maximize audience penetration; educate Institute content contributors on what editorial pieces are performing best, and why
- Regular collaboration with Vice President of Communications, Director of Research, and features editor to cultivate and manage a group of regular editorial contributors who write features on various research-related topics
- Primary liaison between the Institute’s research and program work and communications, reviewing major Institute editorial content.
- Developing and overseeing ongoing publication calendar of Institute-supported research content, chairing regular editorial meetings and working with contributors on timelines for content
- Primary traffic manager of Institute research-based editorial content and related assets (including but not limited to papers, data, and presentations); help to manage the Institute’s asset databases by ensuring proper storage of these assets
- Support Vice President of Communications in cultivating and corresponding with an extensive media network of partner websites that will run Institute editorial content on their own channels and also act as content contributors to Institute blog
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, economics, or related field. Non-economists must have strong knowledge of and ability to write about economic issues, including technical and scholarly research
- Significant experience writing and editing economics content
- Deep understanding of the global economy and understanding of scholarly research in economics and related disciplines
- Good news judgment and understanding of both domestic and international political environments
- Outstanding editing and writing skills
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Understanding the norms of scholarly research
- Able to set priorities, organize workflow, work independently on assigned projects, and collaborate effectively in small-team environment, demonstrating exceptional work ethic and taking and following through on initiatives
- Reliable, with the ability to meet deadlines, strive for continuous improvement, and solve problems quickly and creatively
- Experience managing multiple tasks and timelines simultaneously and under pressure
- Mastery of Microsoft Office and related business applications
- Ability to work effectively in teams, communicate orally and in writing, and respect a wide range of competencies and points of view
- Basic knowledge of SEO and SEM
- Basic knowledge of social media
- Knowledge of foreign languages a plus
Please send resume and a one-page cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Economics Editor” in the subject header of your inquiry email and please mention where you learned of this opportunity.
No phone calls or email inquiries beyond this application will be accepted. Institute staff will contact you if there is further interest on our part.